Allianz Home FAQ

Who do I call to make a claim?

In the event of a claim you should contact Allianz on 1890 77 99 99 between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays).

When you are making a claim please note the following points:

Complete and return a claim form. Estimates should be submitted with your claim. Once the estimate has been agreed by Allianz, you can proceed with repairs/redecoration.

When necessary – in the case of broken windows or burst pipes for example – you should have emergency repairs carried out immediately to prevent possible further damage to your property.

If property has been stolen or maliciously damaged, or if you lose a valuable item, you should inform the Gardaí or Police as soon as possible. You will receive the Garda report form with your claim form.

If the claim includes injury to someone else or damage to their property you should send written details to Allianz as soon as possible. It is vital that Allianz deals with such claims on your behalf. Any letter or documents you receive should be sent, unanswered, to Allianz without delay.

Where Allianz needs to discuss your claim you will be contacted as soon as possible to make an appointment.

What do I do if my property has been affected by storm or flood damage?

If your property has suffered storm or flood damage there are a few steps you can take before you contact Allianz.

You must not proceed with full repairs without Allianz’s approval. Allianz, at their discretion nominates a contractor to carry out repairs.

Storm Damage:

You can contact a contractor to inspect the roof and if necessary carry out emergency repairs only.

Flood Damage:

You can take steps to remove the flood water from your property. In the event of widespread flooding your local council or fire brigade may be able to assist you.

You can clean up as best you can. Please do not dispose of any items as Allianz may arrange for an inspection.

Photograph the damage to your property and contents.

Avoid touching any contaminated items, unless wearing suitable gloves.

Arrange for an electrician to check the electrics.

Unblock any external wall vents. Also check the floor void for floor water. This will need to be cleaned and disinfected.

Leave the heating on to help the property dry out. You can also hire dehumidifiers. When a dehumidifier is on, close your windows. A dehumidifier should be emptied on a regular basis.

What is HomeRescue?

HomeRescue is an emergency 24-hour, 365 days-a-year nationwide service, which will complement your existing household insurance policy by providing an immediate solution to your emergency with a single telephone call. HomeRescue assists you in an emergency situation as a result of:

  • Damage to plumbing
  • Overflowing water tanks
  • Blocked drains
  • Electrical failure within the home
  • Non-security of locks, doors and windows
  • Broken glass.

For details on what is covered, consult the home rescue information sheet or alternatively contact Mapfre on 1800 992 600.

What is an excess?

An excess is the first amount of any loss that you are responsible for paying in the event of making a claims. This amount is deducted from the total claim settlement figure.

There are different excesses applicable depending on the type of claim.

Please see table below for excesses applicable to your policy:


Standard €300

Subsidence €630

Water Damage €600

Please note you can increase the excesses on your policy, please refer to your home schedule to see if this applies to you or alternatively contact our helpdesk on (01) 4084020.

What is classed as buildings and contents insurance?

As a guide, Buildings include:

  • The structure of your home
  • Built-in wardrobes
  • Fitted kitchens
  • Wooden floors
  • Garage and outbuildings
  • Walls, gates and fences
  • Patios

As a guide, Contents include:

  • Household goods
  • Clothing
  • Furniture and furnishings
  • Personal effects

How much should I insure my buildings for?

Your buildings should be insured for its reinstatement value, including the cost of professional fees and site clearance. You can obtain guidance on reinstatement value on using their rebuilding calculator?

How much should I insure my contents for?

Your contents should be based on the cost of replacing the contents as new at today’s prices, and should cover everything that you would take with you if you moved house. The contents should cover all items within the home and domestic outbuildings. If cover is needed for items away from the home e.g. jewellery “all risks” cover must be selected. Please refer to the FAQ section on “all risks cover” for more details.

What happens if I underinsure my home?

The average clause applies to our household policies. This means that if the sum insured at the time of the loss is less than the insurable value of the buildings or contents the amount claimed under the policy may be reduced in proportion to the underinsurance. 

What is all risks cover?

All risks cover is included as standard under your policy which protects you against loss or theft of, or accidental damage to, personal valuables such as jewellery, clothing, electronic / photographic equipment/ mobile devices etc. both inside and outside your home. It also covers you for items you take abroad.

There are two types of All Risks cover:

            1. Specified All Risks Cover: which allows you to list individual items on your policy, and specify their value. Specified items normally include jewellery, hearing aids, bicycles,  cameras and other valuables. Each item is covered up to the amount you insure it for.

            2. Unspecified All Risks Cover: is an umbrella style cover which allows you to select a total amount that your personal effects will be covered for each year. There is no need to list each item individually. This cover is designed for items such as glass, mobile phones, handbags etc.

Certain limits apply to Unspecified All Risks cover including €2,000 for any one item, bicycles up to a limit of €320 and personal money up to a limit of €650.

What is accidental damage cover?

Accidental damage cover is for sudden unforeseen damage arising from an incident or action which is not weather related.

For example, spilling paint accidentally on a carpet is covered under the Contents accidental damage extension; putting a foot accidentally through the attic floor is covered under the Buildings accidental damage extension.

Accidental damage is an optional benefit on our policies. Please refer to your policy schedule to see if this benefit applies to you or alternatively contact the helpdesk on (01) 4084020.

What liability cover do I have under my Household policy?

The buildings section of the household policy provides cover for liability arising out of ownership of the buildings. The contents section of the household policy provides cover for liability arising out of:

  • Occupancy of the buildings
  • Insured’s personal capacity

Does my home insurance cover workmen?

Domestic employees are covered under Liability to Domestic Employees section of the policy, however no cover is provided for independent contractors. A domestic employee is defined as an employee of the household carrying out solely private domestic duties in connection with the Buildings including repair, maintenance or decoration.

Does my home insurance cover visitors?

Liability to others is covered as standard on your policy. Visitors to your home for business purposes are not covered on a standard home policy. The policy also covers visitor’s and guest’s property up to a maximum of €1,300. Please refer to your policy booklet for details. 

What is an endorsement?

An insurance endorsement is an amendment or addition to an existing insurance contract which changes the terms or scope of the original policy. An insurance endorsement may be used to add, delete, exclude or otherwise alter coverage. An insurance endorsement may be issued mid-term, at the time of purchase, or at renewal. The insurance endorsement is a legally binding amendment to the insurance contract.

Please refer to your Home schedule to see what endorsements apply to your policy or alternatively contact the helpdesk on (01) 4084020.

What happens if I move house?

In the event you move property during your policy term you will need to make us aware prior to vacating the property. Contact the helpdesk on (01) 4084020 to discuss your options.

Is my property covered if it is not occupied?

Property is considered unoccupied if it not lived in on a permanent full-time basis by the members of your household or any other person authorised by you.

If your property becomes, or is likely to become unoccupied, please advise Allianz of this change, as this information may affect your insurance.

Where a property is unoccupied for more than 35 consecutive days some covers are automatically excluded. Please refer to your household document for details. 

How do I renew my policy?

Your renewal notice is based on the most recent information supplied by you. If these details have changed, please contact us immediately so we can update your details and issue you with a revised renewal notice if necessary.

It is possible to save money on your home insurance premium. Below are a few ways in which you could reduce your costs:

  • Review your buildings sum insured and contents sum insured.
  • Review your specified items.
  • Add/Amend Alarm

Once you have checked your Cover details and are happy, please proceed to payment options below to complete your renewal.


Select ‘Renew Policy’ from the home page and follow the easy steps. All you will need is:

A credit/charge/debit card

If your renewal date has passed, or if you experience difficulty using our online facility, please contact the Customer Service Helpdesk on (01) 4084020 between the hours of 9am and 7pm, Monday to Thursday and 9am to 5.30pm on Fridays.


Log on to and click on the ‘Renew Your Policy’ button and follow the easy steps. All you need is:

  • A credit/charge/debit card
  • Your policy number
  • Your renewal pin – which is supplied on your renewal notice.

If your renewal date has passed, or if you experience difficulty using our online facility, please contact the Customer Service Helpdesk on (01) 4084020 between the hours of 9am and 7pm, Monday to Thursday and 9am to 5.30pm on Fridays.



Premiums will be paid from your bank account over 10 months.

Charges are detailed on the direct debit mandate included in your renewal pack.

Please call the Customer Service Helpdesk on (01) 4084020 between the hours of 9am and 7pm, Monday to Thursday and 9am to 5.30pm on Fridays.


Your annual premium can be paid in full by credit/charge/debit card. Please call the Customer Service Helpdesk on (01) 4084020


A cheque or bank draft can be made payable to ‘Cornmarket Group Financial Services Ltd.’ Please send all payments to:

Cornmarket Group Financial Services Ltd.,

Christchurch Square,

Dublin 8.

How do I make changes to my policy after it has started?

Whether you want to add an item to your home insurance policy or change your address, you can contact one of our Home Insurance Experts on (01) 4084020.  We will discuss the changes to your policy that you need and will advise you if there will be any additional charge to your home insurance premium or any change to the terms and conditions of your home insurance policy.

How do I get a letter of Indemnity for the bank?

In order to obtain a Letter of Indemnity, we require the name of the Interested Party. Once we receive this information, a Letter of Indemnity will be sent directly to the Interested Party’s address. Each year once the policy has been renewed, an updated Letter of Indemnity will be issued to the Interested Party.

You can at any stage during the policy term, request for a duplicate letter of Indemnity to be issued. You can also amend the name of the Interested party throughout the policy term by contacting our helpdesk on (01) 4084020.

How do I cancel my policy?

In order to cancel your policy we will need written instruction from you and any other policyholders confirming the policy number and the cancellation date. We will also need to know the reason for cancelling the policy.

All required documents can be returned to:

Personal Insurance Department

Cornmarket Group Financial Services LTD.

Christchurch Square,

Dublin 8.

Alternatively you can email your cancellation request to:

Once we receive the cancellation request, we can cancel from that date or from a future date. If there has been no claim during the current period of insurance, we will return premium for the unexpired period of insurance. Any money due to be refunded will be arranged by the Cornmarket Finance Department.

Allianz p.l.c. is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. HomeRescue is provided by MAPFRE ASSISTENCIA Agency Ireland. MAPFRE ASISTENCIA Compania De Seguros Y Reaseguros, S.A., trading as MAPFRE ASSISTANCE Agency Ireland, is authorised by Direccion General de Seguros y Fondos de Pensiones del Ministerio de Economia y Hacienda,Spain, and is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland for conduct of business rules.