Income Protection FAQs

What is Income Protection*?

Income Protection provides a replacement income of up to 75% of annual salary**, in the event that you are unable to work due to illness or injury.

If you are claiming from an Income Protection Plan, you will receive a replacement income until you return to work, are deemed fit to return to work, die, or reach the ceasing age of the Plan.

*May also be called Salary Protection/Income Continuance/Disability Benefit

**Less half pay, any State Illness or State Invalidity Benefit, Ill Health Early Retirement Pension and/or Temporary Rehabilitation Remuneration you are entitled to.

What is Specified Illness Benefit?

Specified Illness Benefit provides a once off tax-free lump sum if you are diagnosed with one of the Specified Illnesses listed in your Plan.   

What is Death Benefit?

Death Benefit provides a tax-free lump sum to your estate in the event of your death.

Do I get tax relief on the premiums that I pay?

You are eligible for tax relief at your highest rate of tax on the Disability Benefit element of your Plan premium.

If you are paying premiums through your salary, you will automatically receive tax relief through your employer. This means that the actual cost of your premiums will be less than what you see on your payslip.

If you are paying by Direct Debit, you will need to submit a Tax Relief Claim Form to Revenue in order to receive your tax relief.

Why am I seeing two deductions on my payslip?

If you pay your Plan premiums through salary, you might see two deductions on your payslip for Income Protection. As tax relief applies to a portion of your premium, the premium is split into two deductions on your payslip. This enables your employer to apply tax relief on your Disability Benefit premium. As your premiums for Serious Illness Benefit or Death Benefit, if applicable, do not avail of tax relief, they may appear separately on your payslip.

How do I make a claim?

In order to make a claim, you will need to call our dedicated Claims Team on (01) 408 4018. Our Claims Team will guide you through the claims process and issue you with a claims pack, if necessary. It is important to contact us as soon as you become aware that you need to make a claim from the Plan, as claims can take around 3 months to process.

How many times can I claim Disability Benefit?

There is no maximum number of times that you can claim Disability Benefit. Each claim will be assessed against the definition of disability and to determine if the deferred period has been met, where required.

The deferred period is the time period before the Plan benefit becomes payable.

What happens if I change my terms of employment or take unpaid leave?

If your terms of employment change or you take unpaid leave this may affect your cover under the Plan. You should call our Customer Service Team on (01) 408 4195 or email for the options available to you.

You should contact us for any of the following:

  • Change in working hours, such as Job-Sharing, working Part-Time or Shorter Working Year
  • Taking a Career Break- you should notify Cornmarket within 4 months of taking a Career Break, otherwise your policy may lapse.
  • Taking Unpaid Leave, such as Maternity, Parental, Adoptive or Carers leave- you must notify Cornmarket at least 1 month in advance of taking Unpaid Leave, otherwise your policy may lapse.
  • Change employer or job

What if I travel abroad?

As long as you remain resident within Ireland, you are covered wherever you travel in the world for holiday purposes. If however you are planning to go abroad for work purposes, call our Customer Service Team on (01) 408 4195 or email for the options available to you.

When does my membership end?

Membership ends at the earliest of the following:

  • You reach the ceasing age of your Plan or
  • You leave your job or resign or
  • You leave the Union or leave the employer (in the case of employer sponsored Plans) or
  • Your premiums to the Plan cease (please remember, it is your responsibility to make sure the correct premiums are paid) or
  • You retire (except if you are claiming from the Plan and retire on an Ill Health Early Retirement Pension) or
  • You die or
  • You no longer fulfil the eligibility requirements of the Plan.

What happens if I cancel my membership or leave my Union?

Membership of the Plan can be cancelled at any time by notifying Cornmarket in writing.  There is no ‘cash-in’ value paid if you stop paying your premiums. You should think carefully before cancelling your membership as once you have left the Plan, you will be required to provide medical information if you wish to apply for cover again in the future. A change in medical history in the interim could affect your ability to re-join the Plan.

If you have left or are planning to leave the Union to which your Plan provides cover for, this could have an adverse effect on your membership of the Plan. You must be a member of the Union to be an eligible member of the Plan.  If you are planning to change from one Union to another, there may be a transfer option available. Contact our Customer Service Team on (01) 408 4195 or to discuss this possibility.