There are a number of simple steps you can take to make your home more energy efficient. The following 5 tips will help you on your way to saving on energy costs in your home.
1. Don’t forget to switch off appliances- Turn off appliances such as TVs and game consoles when they are not in use, rather than leaving them on standby. When appliances are on standby they still use up electricity.
2. Use energy saving light bulbs- Replace as many of your lightbulbs as possible with compact fluorescent lights (CFLs). While they are initially more expensive, CFLs can use up to 75% less energy than traditional, incandescent bulbs. They also last up to 10 times longer.
3. Make sure your hot water cylinder is insulated- A lagging jacket on a hot water cylinder will keep water hotter for longer and also reduce energy consumption
4. Always check energy labels- When buying a new appliance, check the EU Energy Label. The label will show the energy rating of an appliance. If possible, go for appliances that are ‘A’ rated as they will be the most energy efficient.
5. Use a thermostat- If you don’t have one already, install a thermostat. Turning a thermostat down by 1°C can shave 10% of your heating bill, according to the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland.
Why not get a quote today? Right now you’ll enjoy two months free cover, when you switch your home insurance to Cornmarket, and your policy starts between 14.03.20 and 31.05.20. Subject to a minimum premium of €335.52.
The information contained in this article is from https://www.aviva.ie/insurance/home-insurance/9-energy-saving-tips-for-your-home/. Source, Aviva June 2017. Cornmarket cannot be held responsible for content contained on external websites.