Second in the series of delicious recipes Cliona Brennan shares her favourite summer snack.
Bright in colour and bold in flavour this dish is a sure way to bring a smile to the table this summer. I made this dish recently for one of my retreats at Hotwell House and it was a huge success. Seeing as it was a lunch I went for sharing plates. I served this with a mixed grain salad and fresh tomato cucumber basil dish with some bread. I like to make my carrots the night before as I find the flavours taste better that way but you can do it on the day too.
Spiced Carrot & Hummus with Crispy Sunflower Seeds
This dish serves 4-6 as a side
For the Spiced Carrots
4 Large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp mixed spice
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
sea salt and black pepper
For the Hummus
400g chickpeas, drained
¼ white onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp tahini
75ml olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
Salt and pepper
For the Crispy Sunflower Seeds
30g sunflower seeds
1 tbsp Soy sauce
● Preheat your oven to 180° setting.
● Place the sunflower seeds onto a clean baking tray. Drizzle with the soy sauce and season with salt. Roast for five minutes checking halfway to ensure they are not burning. Remove and allow to cool.
● Place the diced carrots in a bowl. Add all the spices and drizzle generously with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Use your hands to toss everything together. Put in the oven to roast for 20 mins until the carrots have cooked through and are slightly caramelised. Toss the pieces half way through.
● For the Hummus. Crush the garlic clove and place this in a blender or food processor. Add your chickpeas, onion, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
● Blend and check for seasoning, adding more lemon, salt or oil as you like. If it is too thick add some water.
● To serve spoon the hummus onto a large serving plate. Arrange the spiced carrot on top. Spoon over the sunflower seeds and finish with a pinch of flakey sea salt.
Health and wellness is such an important part of people’s lives, that’s why certain health insurance plans now include money back on visits to dietitians, nutritionist consultations and gym memberships. Some even provide money back on the cost of fitness wearables such as FitBits.
Call us today on (01) 420 0999 and we will help find a health insurance plan most suited for you.
Cornmarket Group Financial Services Ltd. is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. A member of the Irish Life Group Ltd. which is part of the Great-West Lifeco Group of companies. Telephone calls may be recorded for quality control and training purposes.