Whether you’re going skiing or heading to Paris for a romantic getaway, travel insurance is essential!
Going on holiday is exciting, so the last thing you want to be worrying about your travel insurance policy. That’s why we’ve put together a list of travel insurance FAQs.
1. Will it takes ages to find good travel insurance? Should I just buy the insurance that comes with my flights?
It’s not a matter of good travel insurance, but the right travel insurance policy for you. It definitely speeds things up if you speak to a professional. Travel insurance can cover you from major catastrophes down to something smaller like a stolen camera. When you book your flight, you’ll be offered a deal for insurance and you might be tempted to snap it up straight away, but it’s best to say ‘maybe’ and have a look around to see if you can get travel insurance that’s better for your needs.
2. Do I need single trip or annual?
It depends. Is this your one holiday of the year, or are you a globe-trotter? If you’re a bit of a Bear Grylls, you’ll likely need cover for more than one holiday so you should take out an annual travel insurance policy. On average, annual cover is best if you plan on taking three or more holidays. Otherwise, go with a single trip travel insurance policy.
3. What’s an EHIC then?
This is the European Health Insurance Card. As an Irish resident, an EHIC is a great way to save money. The EHIC grants you access to medical treatment at the same level as you’d get in Ireland when you’re in another country in the EU zone. A couple of things to note about an EHIC:
- It’s not a replacement for comprehensive travel insurance, even if it does sound great.
- It’s best for use on quick trips
- It doesn’t cover the cost of coming home after an accident or injury
- An EHIC is best if you need basic medical treatment abroad.
- Basically, it means you can get simple treatment without having to make a claim.
4. Tell me more about medical cover, please.
Our travel insurance policies can cover you in the case of any accidents, injuries, or illnesses, though some pre-existing medical conditions might not be covered. Click here to get a quote now. We cover hospital stays, doctor visits etc., for holidays both in Ireland and abroad. We also offer Medicare Extra Travel Insurance to anyone who has Private Health Insurance with VHI Healthcare, Aviva Health, Laya Healthcare or GloHealth, if you’re interested in going private abroad.
5. What happens if I have to cancel my holiday because of an emergency?
Depending on your travel insurance policy, you might get your money back if you cancel for the reasons we specify, e.g. illness, injury, or anything more serious like a death.
6. What about my valuables/cash or luggage?
Depending on your policy, we can offer personal belongings cover up to €2,500 and delayed baggage cover of up to €300, so you’ll be covered in the case of a theft, or if your luggage is mislaid. Always remember to file a police report if personal items are stolen.
7. So what benefits does travel insurance offer?
With Cornmarket you can enjoy:
- Annual multi-trip worldwide cover, which includes winter sports cover
- A discount for private health insurance policyholders*
- Free cover for children who are under the age of 24 and in fulltime education
- Benefits apply up to the age of 86
- No excess should you have to make a claim
- 24 /7 worldwide medical & emergency assistance
- Medical expenses cover
- Cancellation or cutting short of your trip cover
- Personal belongings cover of up to €2,500
- Delayed baggage cover of up to €250
- *Discount applies if you have private health insurance with inpatient medical cover abroad to a minimum of €55,000 per person per claim.
8. Got any last minute travel insurance related pointers?
Some handy travel insurance tips:
- Declare any info that might lead to a claim
- Get familiar with your policy and know what’s covered
- Make sure you get the right travel insurance policy for you
- Always file a police report if something is stolen.
With Cornmarket Travel Plus Insurance you can relax on holiday without having to think about things going wrong.
Cornmarket Travel Plus travel insurance policies is underwritten by MAPFRE ASSISTENCIA. MAPFRE ASISTENCIA Compania Internacional De Seguros Y Reaseguros, S.A., trading as MAPFRE ASSISTANCE Agency Ireland, is authorised by the Direccion General de Seguros y Fondos de Pensiones del Ministerio de Economia y Hacienda, Spain, and is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland for conduct of business rules.