It’s good practice to take out home insurance whether you’re renting for a short or long period of time. For renters ‘contents only cover’ is a great option and it can be tailored to fit your personal needs.

What is contents cover?

For renters the best cover to have is contents only cover which protects household goods and personal belongings.

How do I calculate the sum of my belongings?

To calculate the value of your contents, go from room to room and list all items that could be stolen or damaged. Next, assign approximated costs to each item. If you're unsure, search for the item online or for a similar item to get an idea of the price.

Items you might overlook:

  • Artworks and ornaments
  • Freestanding furniture like lamps, sofas and bookshelves
  • Garden furniture, lawn mowers, tools and bicycles
  • Books, DVD’s and games
  • Clothes and shoes
  • Toys
  • Food in your freezer and cupboards
  • Jewellery, cosmetics and toiletries
  • Crockery and Cutlery
  • Bed linen, rugs and curtains
  • Washing machine, fridge, dryer, freezer, microwave, oven, pans and pots.

What are the costs and discounts provided?

Contents only cover for renters is calculated on the estimated value of your household goods, furniture and personal belongings.

If you have any Home Insurance queries please visit our website.

The information contained in this article is from Source, Aviva September 2019. Cornmarket cannot be held responsible for content contained on external websites.