In this episode, our guests talk about starting a conversation on mental health using real lived experience of eating disorders, depression and bipolar disorder. Norah is joined by disabilities nurse, Johnny Hunt and director of 50808 Text About It, Nicole Forster to discuss how nurses and midwives can start the conversation with friends, family or with a support service. Now a See Change ambassador, Johnny hopes that by sharing his story he can help normalize conversations about mental health in the nursing and midwifery professions.
Let’s Wrap It Up: Each episode ends with a quick 5-minute wrap up session with mental health expert Bríd O’Meara; links to Bríd's support recommendations include:
- Free text INMO to 50508 at any time to start a conversation.
- There is also a 24hr counselling helpline available to INMO members – call 1850 670 407 or (01) 881 8047
- If you need support, or would like to find out more about anxiety, depression or bipolar disorder, visit Aware here: https://www.aware.ie/
- If you need support, or would like to find out more about depression or bipolar disorder, visit Shine and See Change here: https://shine.ie/
- If you need support, or would like to find out more about eating disorders, please visit: https://www.bodywhys.ie/
If you have been affected by the conversation today, there are a number of one to one and self-directed mental health supports available to you. Visit our Support Services page for more information.